Monday 30 July 2018

Run-in with Sir Ran



Georgie pitched a random question.  “Are you and Mary free down our way on 18 July or 31 July?”  Last year about this time, she and Gav had thoughtfully (and generously) arranged a day out at Blenheim Palace.  This time, I suspected a family evening meal invitation, probably courtesy of some coupon offer.  It happened that Mary and I were due to pick up new flat keys locally, and we could well be free.  Georgie didn’t elaborate.  Ten days or so later she texted a photo of some Derngate Theatre tickets for An evening with Ranulph Fiennes. 

There’s something of a history behind this.  I met the great man at a Heating and Plumbing trade exhibition in London’s Olympia, quite a few years ago.  In an effort to boost attendances, the event organisers arrange celebrities to drop in at some point, and they promote accordingly.  I’d got fed up with manning our Atmos stand, and repeatedly explaining why we offered 28kw and 32kw units but and not 35kw ones.  I sneaked off round the back of the exhibition displays, and found Sir Ran in the sparsely-attended seminar area.  He supplied entertaining anecdotes and we had a chat afterwards.

Then Jack bought me a copy of his (to my mind overpriced) Beyond the Limits book for a birthday present.  Soon after, Danny – who met Sir Ran in a similarly serendipitous way to my own – kindly bought me a second copy.  Finally, Dave bought me a CD set of after-dinner talks for Christmas.  

My 70th birthday was looming (2015).  Lizzie wished to get me something ‘a bit different’.  She’d already offered to sponsor me to climb Kilimanjaro.  It happened that I was due to be in Kenya with Multiply that year.  I was very tempted.  She sent a pair of Crucible Theatre tickets for An evening with...  After much umming and ahhing about other commitments, I passed them to Viv and Kat.  They had a great time.  Having mentioned Kilimanjaro at the merchandise table, they presented me with a third – autographed – copy of Beyond.
 Years have passed since our last visit to Derngate.  We had to park some distance away because of the roof-box fitted on the car.

Knowing some of the blokish references in the CDs, I wondered if the evening would leave Mary blushing.  But she enjoyed every minute of it.  Best was the, “Then he began to whinge,” story.  With slow deliberate movements across the stage, Sir Ran looked as though age was catching up with him.  Maybe it was the sum of skin grafts on his feet.  His achievements have been monumental.  He remains a remarkable once-in-a-generation figure.

Later, we had our own little adventure on the way to spend the night in Coventry.  I took the Nissan Leaf on from work, while Mary kept our Zafira.  The electric car charging point at Kings was inaccessibly blocked in by wheelie bins.  We all have our challenges. Thank you for the treat, Georgie.

No comments: