Monday 30 July 2018

Discuss and Discus



The St James Church bulletin was promoting a regular Saturday men’s breakfast: ‘full English for a fiver’.  And, happily, this turned out to be the right slot in the month.  Mary seemed content that I should take myself off for the morning.  She was planning to be in the garden if the weather was cooler.  
In my lunch hour, I emailed Barry, whose contact details were added (something like champagnecharley@gmail).  I got three swift responses: from Barry himself, from Ian the organiser, and from Roger the cook.  They included tips on where to park, mentioning that over 30 guys were expected. 

I have a theory that it’s a mark of middle-classness if you’re motivated to invite yourself along without introduction to an unfamiliar social gathering or interest group.  Working-class people will only try something new if there’s a relational route in.  Like, for example, only going along if their neighbour or father-in-law is already involved.  It’s a point to remember when churches lay on events to attract new people.  Was I engaging in betrayal of my class roots? 

My experience of men’s breakfasts has been positive.  I’ve been to the monthly one in Bath, when visiting my brother-in-law Tony.  Last time, they had about a hundred guys along.  The pub was packed and the restaurant-served food was excellent.  They pull in some class speakers: top physicists from GCHQ, seasoned explorers and household-name footballers.  

The Sheffield equivalent I’ve sampled was memorable, too.  But for different reasons.  The menu choice was grilled bacon or sausage, or bacon and sausage; in a white or brown bread-cake; with red or brown sauce.  And a ‘proper’ mug of tea.  None of your low-fat, veggie or decaff nonsense.  Indeed.  The gritty Northern gospel.

I parked near the village hall behind an SUV sporting a fish badge (local angling club?).  Ian introduced himself and a couple of other guys, and I headed for the coffee.  There was one long table.  This limited the conversation to a person on either side, and two or maybe three opposite.  The familiar worst-case hearing-aid challenge.  And, looking around, I wasn’t the only contestant.  I found an accountant on my right, and a local councillor on my left.  Another new boy was opposite.  I could see a large HS2 planning chart over his shoulder.  

Brian, on my right had moved up from the Home Counties bible belt to retire.  He’d visited Sheffield a few times and we had some Anglican acquaintances in common.  My councillor friend had retired twice, but was fully busy on housing and HS2 committees.  He possessed a wealth of knowledge and solidly-formed opinions.  However, no-one could tell me where I may find an electric car charging point in the town. 

We had an illustrated talk on collecting cigarette cards.  Given the attendance, this took on the nostalgic air of a public schoolboys’ hobbies club meeting.  Afterwards, Brian and I exchanged email addresses, and he introduced me to Barry, too.

Back home, Mary had been hacking her way through a vigorous cotoneaster standing in the overgrown border.  I finished off the job with a pruning saw.  There, in the sunshine, liberated from its bushy confinement, was a statuette of a naked discus thrower.  True, his right shoulder will need some Polyfilla.  But at least that will leave him slightly more decorous than the garden’s other classical figure – a maiden who appears to have suffered an unfortunate wardrobe malfunction.  Maybe Mary will find her a tee-shirt.

No comments: