Monday, 3 March 2014

Multiply Zambia 2014 Day Three - Friday

It seemed like all day yesterday the team where saying, "What day is it?"  But everyone was on top form today.  I made a mental note to get some video shots of the sewing room, so I could report back to Workaid.  But besides this and getting handouts done on the new Internet Cafe system, my day promised to be straightforward. 

It was also noticeably cool.  Last night Gladys's sister and mother were warming their feet around the charcoal stove on which they prepare nshima.  I texted Gav to say Mary had reported that Nate's operation had gone okay, and to wish Elise a happy birthday.

While conference groups were in action, I took a look around the school next door to the worship hall.  The whole facility had belonged to a Government-run supermarket, and the church had secured it use after it became redundant to the store's purposes.  It's a great asset, and well utilized.

Off a central corridor there are seven classrooms and two staff rooms.  The noise is substantial but not intrusive.  I recalled the blind children in Yangon practising all their lessons by vocal repetition.

Simon, the techie, was hunched behind his administrator desktop in the Internet Cafe, trying to get the laser printer drivers to load.  In the end, to get handout copies, we just installed the printer on my laptop, and it all worked fine.  These facilities, with the broadband, will make a world of difference to everyone involved.

After lunch, which included kapenta, we did another Q&A session, with more nudges about Multiply handing out some funds (which we don't).  I introduced a song, using Viv's ukulele.  We rounded off on the subject of fathering and about an hour's prayer response time. 

Steven cleared the delegates out of the hall so his church could get their weeking prayer time rolling.  The eight-lady backing group was in fine voice, and my phone sound meter hit 111 decibels. 

Len announced he needed a haircut.  So we all piled into George's van and found a suburban shopping centre, taking a circuit round the Copperbelt Univerity on the way.  Farayi found us some roasted maize at a wayside stall while we waited.  Len paid 20 kwacha, just over £2.  Then we headed off to Steven's home, where Jimmie was due to interview him on video.  Len finally got his dongle to connect.  He purred contentedly sipping Rooibosh and uploading photos until his laptop battery died. 

Tomorrow we leave for Lusaka.  Jimmie has decided to stay on here in Kitwe to get computer facilities up and running for Ali.  She starts her English literacy sessions in earnest on Monday.  I hear that there are new sections of road, but also new speed restrictions.  I'm already suffering with a sore back, and seven hours jammed in an overcrowded coach sounds like a challenge.  Over our late meal, Steven says it's breakfast as usual at 8.00am and we leave town at 9.30am: We shall see.

No comments: