Wednesday 25 December 2013

Angels, Songs and Explanations

On Sunday morning in Coventry we sang Robin Mark's song Take us to the river.  It has an interesting third verse, that runs: Is this Your mighty angel / Who stands astride the ocean and the land / In His hand Your mercy...  On Monday morning I received a somewhat querulous email:  Can you tell me who the angel is standing on the ocean and the land?  There is one in Revelation but he is not doing what it says in the song.  It irritates me every time we sing it because I don't like singing what I don't understand.

I suggest querulous, because it wasn't difficult to track down an answer.  I'm sometimes driven to confront people with, "Well, do you want an explanation, or do you just want to grumble?"   Robin Mark had blogged about the Revelation 10 reference.  http://robinmark.com/the-story-behind-take-us-to-the-river/  He wrote the song with the theme of God's mercy in mind.  The angel has a scroll which is generally interpreted to be the gospel.  Mark points out that this is both sweet and bitter.  His blog continues that, for example, the Father's mercy to the returning prodigal son leaves a bitter taste in the older brother's mouth (Luke 15).  However, the song doesn't go on to explore this intriguing extension.


I thought that, in similar vein, I'd write a bit about one of my songs.  As it's not nearly so well known, here are the lyrics.

Lord, for You my strength, my days;
Follow You in manly ways;
Lift to You deep voice of praise.
Son of Man.

2. Lord, for You my social roles:
Headship, priesthood, guarding souls.
Covenant depth in faith-charged goals.
Abraham's Shield.

3. Watched by You from mother's breast.
Called to serve, achieve the best.
Steeled by trial, succeed each test.
Moses' Friend.

4. Train my mind and gain my will:
Talents, boldness, dexterous skill,
Fire of passion - all fulfill.
David's Lord.

5. Conqueror of my Adam pride;
Prophet search me when I'd hide.
With the towel my falseness chide.
Peter's Rock.

6. Spirit filled and gifted, strive.
Pressed by hell, yet I'll survive.
Sons are with me.  He's alive!
Jesus Lord.

7. Burning eyes and keys in hand.
Lion-Lamb before I'll stand.
Myriad voices; blood-bought band.
Heaven's Man.

NCCC (c) 2000 JesusFellowshipChurchCopyCare Ltd.

I wrote it as an encouragement to my friend Tim, when he was first called upon to lead a workshop in one of our Men Alive Days.  Often these workshops provide a challenge to grow in godly, distinctively masculine, character attributes.  Hence the use of Abraham, Moses, David and Peter as models, then an expression of personal aspiration, all topped and tailed by verses about Jesus.  I like songs with - what Huw calls - raw thump and bite.

Sadly, I don't write too many like that anymore.

No comments: