Friday 29 March 2013

The Burn (Sheffield)

I'd lost touch with James, so I sent him a LinkedIn message.  No response.  Then he suddenly popped up with an email and a phone message.  He had a new "baby" - The Burn.  This turns out to be an international motivation for worship-prayer, based loosely on Mike Bickle's IHOP.  James had done some extensive notes on format, participation and partnership, together with a smart graphic that included the first six monthly proposed dates.  The January launch event was at Antioch Church's place just across Hanover Way: 8.00pm Friday to 8.00am Saturday, non-stop.

I told James yes, I was happy to come around midnight after our normal evangelism barbecue.  I was interested in whether he may like to use the Jesus Centre at some stage.  I offered a box of snickers, too.  Unexpectedly, he was keen for me to do "an hour or two's set".  Hmmm.  I needed a bit more to go on than that.  I added that I may pop in earlier to adjust to the format.  We've done 24/1's several times, but I reckoned that my "memorable Wesley" wasn't quite the genre required.  Of course, Viv would slot in just fine, so I tried to get his interest. 

The Friday brought thick snow.  I spent an hour compiling a list of worship songs that I could pull off if summonsed.  Viv had disappeared off to the CU International Cafe, leaving his hallmark air of uncommittedness about whether he'd turn up later.  I dug out my guitar, songbook, Zoom and leads.  James' briefing had asked for Powerpoint words, too: tough. 

I'd been to Antioch's Centre once before, when they'd first opened.  They'd worked on getting a homely feel with pictures, sofas and armchairs, standard lamps and twiggy things in vases.  A music shop full of instruments sprawled across the generous stage area.   The first set was on, and there were about a dozen folks spread around.  I contacted Viv that we'd fit in just fine.  He rang back to say he - and Josh - had already booked 2.00am to 3.30am with James.  Mary texted to say the barbecue was called off because our van couldn't cope with the heavy snow.  We agreed I'd walk back home and collect her to spend the time over here.

It was great to engage in some unhurried prayer.  Seeking God is on our agenda for this year.  A rather pumped-up performer prophesied that the year had already been significant, and movement was happening in the heavenly places.  That sounded good.  Mary didn't seem in a hurry to leave.  Around 1.30am Viv and Josh rolled up, shortly followed by Paul and Steven.  By now the tally was Jesus Army six; others seven.  James didn't seem to mind.  Josh was back backing Viv, which he does well.  Mary and I left at 4.00am while the others stayed on.


A couple of weeks later, we'd agreed with James to host February at the Jesus Centre.  This would be 10.00am to 10.00pm Saturday.  I must explain about James.  We met when he was a post-grad student in Leeds.  Then he went back home for a while.  He'd since come to Sheffield for more research.  Carries and air of otherworldliness, and he's very talented.  I explained that, while the Jesus Centre was free each of the dated he'd planned, he'd need to decide how to spread/carry the vision across the city and region!  

When the Saturday came, I went down to the Jesus Centre early to set up a tea station and generally play host.  A couple of girls turned up and spread out a drum kit.  A band of about seven arrived from York, where they already have a Burn established (James mentioned Durham and Norwich, too).  Again, it was good to have time for unhurried prayer, and I can remember a couple of quite significant things in which I felt well connected with the Holy Spirit. 

Viv had the evening slot that coincided with our regular Saturday gathering, so our members turned up.  With a few others co-opted on keyboard and bass, we had a cracking line-up.  I have to say it was just like the old days round here, when our "band" used to make the worship bounce off the walls.  The two-hours blast had done all our souls good.

Then James got let down on his March arrangement, so we stepped in again.  More deep snow, and accordingly a sag in support.  Viv and Josh were both in the Midlands at the wedding of the year-to-date.   James' friend Phil did the evening set.  He got us all stirred with:  I lean not on my own understanding / My life is in the hands of the Maker of Heaven / I give it all to you God /  Trusting that you'll make something beautiful out of me / I will climb this mountain with my hands wide open / There's nothing I hold on to / There's nothing I hold on to. 

We've been blessed by all this.  James is redoubling his efforts to get a different venue, but frankly, we feel very at home with the whole venture.

No comments: